The Dennis Kirk Blog

Legendary Service... Ask Your Friends - Since 1969

Choose the Right Carbides

Posted on 23 Sep 2013 in Powersports, Snowmobile | 149 comments

Carbides

Choosing the right carbides will help give you better handling

There are multiple factors that can determine how your snowmobile will handle.  The one that you might change the most often is your sled’s traction. Choosing the right carbides is a crucial component of setting up your sled’s traction correctly. Choose the wrong ones and you will be in for a not so pleasant ride and run the risk of getting in an accident. Getting the right wear bars goes beyond choosing the right brand.  Different sleds and riders will require varying lengths of carbides with different degree cutting angles.

A common misconception about snowmobile carbides is that longer is always better. This, however, is absolutely not the case. When the length of the carbide is too long, the snowmobile skis will tend to dig in more than it should while you are cornering. This can cause the back end of the sled to break free and come around too quickly. For the average rider with a short track, a 4” carbide is all that is needed. A sharp set of 4” carbides will generally handle a sled with a 121” in track with 96 or less studs or up to 1” lugs on the track ridden at moderate speeds through the corners.  For most trail riders, the 4″ will most likely be the best all around carbide.

When more studs are added and/or the length of your track lugs increase, you will want to add longer carbides. With the added traction in the back and too short of carbides, the sled will tend to “push” through on the corners. The skis will not get enough bite to change the direction of the sled fast enough in a corner. A 6” carbide will usually be good for a sled that has a 136” track or shorter with 1 ¼” or less lugs on the track. A 121” track with more than 96 studs may also require a longer carbide length. A 6” carbide length is good for the intermediate riders who occasionally push their sleds to the limits.

When the sled is maxed out with studs, and/or has a 144” or longer track with paddles, an 8” or longer carbide is acceptable. Also, if the rider is more than 200 pounds and rides aggressively, an 8” or longer could be necessary. The harder that you ride your sled, the more carbide that you will need to get around the corners safely.

Another misconception about carbide length is that the longer the carbide, the longer it will last. This really is not true because the full length of the carbide is making contact no matter the overall length. A 4” will usually wear at the same rate as an 8” or even 10” carbide. To get a wear bar that will last longer, you will want to find one with a larger diameter host bar.

The degree that the carbide is cut is also important to the longevity. A 60 degree cut will give you more bite when the carbides are new, but because more of the weight is focused on the point, it will wear out faster. A 90 degree carbide will not give you as much bite when new, but will last much longer and give you the best traction in the long run. A 60 degree carbide should really only be used in race conditions where the sled is being pushed to the limits over a short period of time.

Darting is an issue that a lot of snowmobilers face. Longer carbides can sometimes solve this issue, but it usually is not the correct solution. Brands like Woody’s and Stud Boy have developed wear bars that have two rows of carbide per wear bar. The theory is that these wear rods will carve out their own paths instead of diving into a singular path that was already created, which can cause darting. Darting is not always caused by the carbides, though. Your ski pressure and ski alignment can be adjusted to help solve darting as well.Woody's Dooly/Stud Boy Deuce

These, of course, are just general guidelines to follow to find the right carbides. Applications will vary due to size of the rider, the aggressiveness of the rider, the snowmobile’s setup (number of studs, track and lug length, and ski pressure) and type of terrain that you will be riding on. For more information and recommendations, you can contact Dennis Kirk’s Tech team at techsupport@denniskirk.com.

Ryan

Ryan is one of the lucky ones who gets to combine their passion with work. He has enjoyed powersports his whole life and now gets to write about it. Ryan has been around the industry since High School and continues to enjoy learning and sharing about powersports with others in his role at DK.

149 comments

1. Bob mitchell / January 21st, 2015 4:32

Looking for the right car bites for a 2006 crossfire F7 snow pro no studs and track 136

• Ryan / January 21st, 2015 8:12

Hi, Bob. If you ride on the trails a lot and like to ride aggressive at least some of the time, I would recommend a 6″ carbide. With really aggressive riding, you could step up to a 7.5 or 8″. The Stud Boy Shaper bars and Woody’s wear bars are always solid options.

2. Brandon / January 28th, 2015 13:54

I have a 2003 firecat f7, I do some aggressive riding, 128″ track, studded, how long of carbides should I get, need new ones

• Ryan / January 28th, 2015 14:58

Depending on how many studs you have, you could go with anything from 6″ to 10″ of carbide. Since you ride aggressively, an 8″ carbide would probably be a good choice if you can handle the harder steering when you do ride at slower speeds.

3. Jaysson / February 5th, 2015 9:52

Hello Ryan, I just picked up a 1998 vmax 700sx. I do mostly trail riding and I enjoy pushing the sled a little bit. The track is studded, I was wondering what a good carbide length would be for me.

• Ryan / February 5th, 2015 10:28

Hey Jaysson, you could probably go with an 8″ carbide to give you a really good bite in the corners. A 6″ carbide would most likely work as well with your short track.

4. Michael Dooper / February 10th, 2015 19:40

Not sure if I should go with 4″ or 6″ carbide length, I have 600 E-tec MXZ Adrenalin 120″ track no studs, I do ride hard and am around 240#, where I ride is all groomed trails and lots of tight turns.

• Ryan / February 11th, 2015 8:47

Hey Michael, you would probably benefit from a 6″ carbide since you ride hard.

• Michael Dooper / February 12th, 2015 18:37

Thanks, ordered them yesterday, now just need some snow

5. Kevin Jarvis / March 4th, 2015 10:35

I have a Polaris 800 with a 144″ track no studs but I am a bout 300lbs. what would be a good carbide for me, I mostly trail ride unless i find a field to play in. I am not that aggressive of a rider on the corners.

• Ryan / March 4th, 2015 12:17

Hey Kevin, normally an 8″ carbide would be a good choice for your sled, size and riding terrain. You might be able to get away with a 6″ since you don’t corner too aggressively. Check out Woody’s or Stud Boy.

6. jonas kristensen / April 22nd, 2015 13:22

hi i have a 2015 arctic cat m8000 153″ i ride backcountry and in the mountains. im going to buy a new set of skies and carbides im thinking “SLP powder pro” or “C&A pro boondocking extreme” but i have no idea on what type of Carbides to buy. can you please help me?

• Ryan / April 22nd, 2015 15:35

Hey Jonas. If you do mostly back country riding, you can certainly get away with a 90° 6″ carbide. The Woody’s Trail Blazer carbides would be a solid choice for that. Hope this gets you in the right direction.

• Jonas kristensen / August 16th, 2015 6:31

Thanx for the reply. Whitch skies do you recomend? Slp, c&a pro or slydog?

• Ryan / August 17th, 2015 8:25

I think you would be happy with any of the 3. Personally, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Powder Pro’s because they have been proven. I think they do everything pretty well, floating & cutting. I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about the Powder Hounds too and the C&A BX seem to be a good choice for aggressive back country riding.

7. Rich Francis / August 12th, 2015 8:59

My 15 year old son weighs 120 pounds and rides a 2001 Polaris 500 XC. We primarily ride groomed trails in Upstate NY that can be twisty and do have icy steeps. His track is not extended and it does not have studs. I would grade him as an intermediate rider that pushes his sled on occasion. I am looking to install a set of Woodys Slim Jim Dooly carbides, but need some advise on the carbide length. Should I go with 4″ or 6″? Thanks!

• Ryan / August 12th, 2015 9:25

Hey Rich, I would suggest going with the 4′ Dooly carbides. The 6′ Dooly could make the sled a bit too hard to turn and could even be too much bite for a 500 with a 121′ track. You should get the bite that you are looking for from with the 4′. Hope this helps, Ryan

8. Franklin / August 19th, 2015 8:52

I picked up an 86 El Tigre 6000 last year and rode it only a few times. Planning on some maintenance this summer/fall to get it ready for a lot more use this winter. So far I’ve done some basic clean up and tune up work but next up is the carbides and track. I’m going to get the track replaced with a stock one, no studs. Would you recommend new 4″ or 6″ carbide?

• Ryan / August 19th, 2015 9:15

Hey Franklin, For that sled I think the 4″ should work just fine for you for normal trail/ditch riding.

• Franklin / August 19th, 2015 9:23

Great! Thanks for the fast reply Ryan!

9. brian / November 11th, 2015 21:39

I have a 2015 xf 9000 sno pro limited with 9″ shapers and 192 1.45 gold diggers and I am happy with this setup. I just picked up a 2016 zr 9000 137 limited for my wife, I was thinking of running either 192 1.325 gold diggers with a 7.5 shaper duce, or 192 1.45 gold diggers with a 9″ shaper duce, what would you recomend?

• Ryan / November 12th, 2015 8:19

Hey Brian, the recommended stud length for that 1.25″ track would be the 1.325″ studs. You want the stud to be 3/8″ above the tallest lug. Any longer and you risk bending studs over or even ripping some out over time. But if you are having good luck on your sled with the longer studs, you can get away with the 1.45.

10. brian / November 12th, 2015 15:05

For her the 1.325 would probably be ok, would you recomend the 7.5 or 9″ shaper duce with 192 studs?

• Ryan / November 16th, 2015 8:11

If she rides aggressive and has rode your sled and can turn the skis with the 9’s, you could go with them. Otherwise the 7.5’s might be better because she will be able to turn the skis easier through corners, especially if she lets off quite a bit in the corners.

11. Casey P / December 3rd, 2015 23:05

Hey Ryan,
    I am a 200lb rider riding an 800 rev chassis summit with a 151″ track 3″ paddles, mostly ride off trail Tahoe boondocking . I am going to go with a C&A BX, didn’t know if I should go 6″ shaper or 7.5″ shaper carbide. What are your thoughts?

• Ryan / December 4th, 2015 12:27

Hey Casey, if you’re mostly in deep, loose snow you can get away with the 6″ carbides since you won’t be worrying about “bite”

12. Ernie Oberer / January 7th, 2016 14:01

Hey Ryan I am a 200 lb rider on a 2011 yamaha apex xtx with tilted rear track( 121 flat but total length is 144) I ride in upstate ny a little on the aggressive side but not to crazy currently my track is not studded. How many studs do you recommend and what size carbides should I run? Thanks

• Ryan / January 7th, 2016 14:49

Hi Ernie. 171 studs with an 8″ carbide will be able to get you hooked up really well for decently aggressive riding. If you only push your sled a little bit or are not always on hard packed trails I would only go with 152 and a 6″ carbide.

• Ernie Oberer / January 12th, 2016 10:29

13. Rene / January 7th, 2016 15:00

hsve 2010 Polaris dragon 800 switchback and don’t know which carbides to put on 50% trail riding rest lake riding

• Ryan / January 7th, 2016 15:26

Hey Rene, if your track is heavily studded and you do a lot of lake riding, I would probably suggest going with an 8″ carbide. That will give you the bite you need on hard pack and icy conditions so you’re not pushing through corners.

14. Rene / January 7th, 2016 15:01

Track is heavily studded not very aggressive trail rider

15. gary / January 18th, 2016 21:24

I have a 1994 polaris 500 i just purchaced it has 190 studded track with easy steer carbides . What sould i expect with the handleing .

• Ryan / January 19th, 2016 8:08

Hey Gary, you can expect to get really good hookup, even in icy conditions if all of the studs are in good shape. You may experience a little push through the turns depending on the length and condition of the carbides.

16. Bill Donald / January 30th, 2016 23:13

Just picked up a 07 Phazer Mountain Lite for my wife. Looking for a new set of carbides for riding 75% trail and the other 25% is off trail in the light fluff. Track is a 144 with no studs. We ride in Washington State, so the snow is wet at times, but we live in an area that has pretty dry snow. Thanks for the help.

• Ryan / February 1st, 2016 8:37

Hey Bill, a 4″ carbide is probably all that that sled needs for that style of riding.

17. jerry / February 1st, 2016 14:58

I have a 2015 Polaris rush pro-s 800 and was wondering what would be my best options for new carbides. I do mostly groomed trail with some frozen lake, somewhat aggressive riding. My stocks are wearing out and we’re finally getting snow so I would say this constitutes an emergency!

• Ryan / February 1st, 2016 15:43

Hi Jerry, I would recommend a 6″ carbide to give that extra bite in the hard pack/icy conditions.

• jerry / February 1st, 2016 18:45

Thanks, I was thinking the 6 in. Would you recommend the original dooly, the slim jims, shaper blocks? So many questions so little time! I love cornering and I hate darting. Any good choice for the best of both worlds?

• Ryan / February 2nd, 2016 8:11

I have personally had really good luck using one dooly and one regular carbide to eliminate darting, but that can get a bit spendy since the doolys are sold separately and the single carbides are sold in a pair. I think for your sled you would also be fairly happy with the Woody’s Flat Top ACE carbides.

18. Joe / February 8th, 2016 10:24

Great advice here. I have 2 sleds, a Polaris 2015 Switchback Pro S (1.25″) and a Pro X (1.75″). Both without studs. We do mostly trail riding, with some lake and ditch riding mixed in. I initially want to go with 8″ but I’m gathering that 6″ may be a good mix of cornering and not being to aggressive with back of sled whipping around. Do you have a brand and length recommendation? Not a super aggressive rider. Thank you

• Ryan / February 8th, 2016 12:05

Hey Joe, I think you would be happy with the Woody’s Trail Blazer IV 6″ carbides. If you want a little more of an aggressive bite in loose snow, check out the Woody’s Flat Top ACE or StudBoy Shaper bars, both 6″

• Joe / February 8th, 2016 12:14

That’s the one i was looking at, but I was also liking the dooly on one side with trail blazer on the other as you brought up in previous post.

• Ryan / February 8th, 2016 12:19

That’s a great option to help with darting and tracking if you are willing to spend the extra to get the dooly (sold each).

• Joe / February 8th, 2016 12:25

Perfect, that’s the plan. Thank you very much.

19. Tim / February 19th, 2016 11:58

Ryan…I have a 92 Arctic Cat Prowler with studs. I weigh 240# and ride mostly trails on the aggressive side of average. Do you have a recommendation for carbides?

• Ryan / February 19th, 2016 12:24

Hey Tim, You would probably be good with the either the 6″ Woody’s Trail Blazer IV or the 6″ Stud Boy X-Caliber III carbides.

20. Dan Hedrich / March 27th, 2016 19:56

Ryan I recently purchased a 2015 600 Polaris Adventure 60th Anniversary model with a136 non Studded track. It will primarily be risen by my wife age 58 on groomed trails in WI. She weighs about 130 is not an aggressive sledder. But we are planning on adding a lock and ride rear seat which can take up to 120lbs additional rider.
    I am also age 58 weighing in at 225 lb and mostly a trail rider. We did ride with another couple in the UP of MI and did 170 miles in one day at speeds between 30 and 80 mph. We had run single carbides on our 2004 Polaris 600 Classic Touring with 136 inch track and 96 1 1/4 studs. We hated the darting so went to dual 4″ carbides and were very pleased. But now I need to outfit my new sled.
    What carbides do you recommend?
    Thanks Dan

• Ryan / March 28th, 2016 9:04

Hey Dan, the 4″ dual carbide runners should work great for this sled too.

• Dan / March 28th, 2016 9:26

Thanks for the suggestion of the 4″ dual carbide in regards to my question. What is the advantage of the use of single bar on one side and a dually on the other side?
        and if I would go to that option what length carbides should I use?

• Ryan / March 28th, 2016 9:57

The point of the doollies is that they do not “track” in the grooves of single runner carbides. Most sleds can get away with only having it on one side as it will cut its own path. The 4″ should still be good.

21. casey / July 20th, 2016 11:37

Ryan, I picked up a 2016 Switchback Pro S 800 and typically ride very aggressively on the trails, I weigh 150 lbs, because of my weight are 8 ” shaper bars overkill or would there still be an advantage for control and cornering with an aggressive riding style vs the 6 ” We didn’t get the typical March dusting this year so I have not had a chance to ride it yet, I cannot wait to try out the AXYS Chassis!! At least days are now getting shorter!!

• Ryan / July 20th, 2016 13:52

Hey Casey. Without studs, 8″ carbides can be quite a bit, especially at your weight. I think you will be happy with the 6″ carbides. Hopefully we get that early snowfall this year so you can get out on your new sled!

• casey / July 22nd, 2016 17:23

I will probably ride the whole next season prior to deciding if the picks are an absolute necessity. Do you have any experience with the new Pro-File Shorty Runners by HRP?? They sound pretty amazing but there are not many testimonials as they just came out.

• Ryan / July 25th, 2016 8:17

I personally haven’t been able to try them, but they look interesting. If you go with them, check back in and let us know how they perform. It’s good to see some new ideas still coming out.

22. Frank / August 2nd, 2016 17:07

I am brand new to sledding and recently purchased a 1995 Indy Polaris 500. It has moderate picks in the track and the carbides need to be replaced. I trail ride and don’t push the machine to hard. Suggestions?

• Ryan / August 3rd, 2016 8:07

Hey Frank, 6″ carbides should work just fine for you.

23. dustin / August 24th, 2016 20:46

Hey so I ride a Polaris pro s switchback 2015 I just got a straigjine performance pipe and tuner I got 144 gold digger woodys studs . I like to ride fast and hard and normally on all trails . What would be the best set up for me ? I weigh about 200 pounds

• Ryan / August 25th, 2016 7:49

Hey Dustin. With 144 studs, a 6″ carbide is recommended. If you want the most bite up front, you could step up to an 8″ but you may find that your hookup won’t be as balanced from front to back.

• dustin / August 25th, 2016 7:53

So what’s the best 6″ carbide for trail riding and a little pow pow fun? I’m planning on buying the cna xcs skis and I just want something that holds the trail hard . Do I got with a single a Dooley or one of each like u do?

• Ryan / August 25th, 2016 8:22

The Stud Boy Shaper bars are a pretty solid choice. They will give you a little extra bite with the side of the runner to help turn in the looser stuff. The Woody’s Flat Top Ace bar is also a pretty good too. I would try without the Dooley first. You can always pick that up later if you think that you need it.

• dustin / August 25th, 2016 8:29

Sounds good I will give the stud boys a shot much appreciated . It’s awesome to be able to get some solid advice before making a purchase

• Ryan / August 25th, 2016 8:58

No problem and here’s hoping to a good snow year!

24. willy / October 5th, 2016 15:43

just picked up 2006 saber cat studded track it has the stock wear bars that are right and left dooly’s woody’s recomends 6 inch single carbide for my sled but i like the dual runner idea wha do you think

25. David / October 27th, 2016 11:24

I have a 1994 VMAX XT 600 with no Studs on the track. I drive fairly quickly and aggressively (within reason LOL)
    When I am going on the trails, I fin my skis following other people’s trails,
    I am not too interested in the Studs on the track, but I am 260lbs and I keep the track on the track…LOL So the question isI have been told Dual Carbides should not be used on a Sled without Studs, others have said it is ok, I see StudBoy has a shaperBar version that might work but they don’t make it for my Sled. So what would your recommendation be for Carbides ?

• Ryan / October 27th, 2016 13:00

Hey David, the dual runners are perfectly ok to use without studs. If that is the route you choose, I would start by using just one dual runner and one regular wear rod. Unfortunately, I don’t think that they make a dual runner for your sled. To go this route, you would need to also get aftermarket skis. Darting and tracking can sometimes be caused by too much ski pressure. You could try tinkering with that to see if that helps as well. Here is an article on how to do that- http://powersports-blog.denniskirk.com/5177/snowmobile/how-to-stop-snowmobile-darting-and-tracking/

26. Rich / October 28th, 2016 16:22

Hi Ryan, I have a 2009 Ski Doo GSX 500 SS with 5.7 Pilot skis with dual carbides on them, and studs down the center of the track. Need to replace the carbides. Trail rider not too aggressive but want something to bite in the corners.. I am around 240# any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

27. Rich / October 31st, 2016 13:24

Hi Ryan, I have a 2009 Ski Doo GSX 500 SS, 96 studs down the middle, my skis are 5.7 Pilot with dual carbides on them and I need to replace them any suggestions? I am a trail rider not too aggressive i am 6’1 around 240# .

28. shane / November 15th, 2016 17:31

Hi Ryan I have an 04 venom with no studs. I havent ridden it yet but it needs carbides. Mainly for trail riding somewhat aggresively. I have some studs kicking around that I may pop in just for kicks. There isnt enough to mention. I assume 4″ carbides would be enough but wonder if 6″ would be better. Also single or duals?

• Ryan / November 16th, 2016 8:08

Hi Shane, 4″ would probably be good enough for your sled. I would start with singles and see how they ride. If your sled does follow other tracks, you can then try the duals.

29. Sandi / November 22nd, 2016 10:18

Ryan….Western NY trail rider…semi-aggressive, occassional field riding in deep ungroomed stuff. I weigh 150.
    Sled is 2008 CAT T570 (144″ track…studded -do not know how many, but studded from the dealer). I want to buy new carbides…I sort of think this sled comes stock w/4″ carbides….Do you think I’d benefit from 6″ carbides? Any recommendations? Thanks, Sandi

• Ryan / November 22nd, 2016 10:49

With the longer track and the studs, you would probably benefit from 6″ carbides.

30. Brett Lindzy / November 22nd, 2016 11:36

Hey Ryan,
    I have a 2003 MXZ 800 with a 121″ track with 136 studs. I run C&A Pro RZ skis. Carbides need replaced soon. I’m getting ALOT of darting and am looking at going to Woody’s Dooly carbides. Question I’m thinking 6″ since I have 136 studs, but i’m worried about it being even more “tippy” in the corners than it already is.Any recommendations?

31. Aldo granata / November 23rd, 2016 20:29

Hey there I have a 2012 arctic cat 1100 4 stroke 141 inch track 2.25 inch paddle. No studs. What would you recommend

• Ryan / November 25th, 2016 8:14

Without any studs, you could go for 4″ carbides if you ride in mostly powder, softer snow. If you ride a lot of harder pack trails, you may want to bump up to a 6″ or 7.5″ carbide.

32. Carole Gerling / November 26th, 2016 8:18

Hi. I have a 2015 SkiDoo GSX LE 600 HO eTec 2 stroke. No studs. I need new carbides. I ride groomed trails in Michigan. Do I purchase single or dual carbides? And why?

33. Kaeleigh / December 6th, 2016 9:12

Hi there,
    I am Christmas shopping for my boyfriend. He has a 2014 or 2015 Polaris Assault 800 with a 144 2 inch paddle track not studded. He rides in northern Maine and was talking about carbides that you can turn well on tar with? After reading through this I was not sure what would be best. If you could recommend anything that would be great. He’s a rough/crazy rider and weighs about 180 pounds. Also, his skis/carbides are stalk still. Just wondering if I got new carbides if they would fit the stock skis or if he’d need new skis as well.
    Thank you!

34. Bonnie Barrick / December 12th, 2016 16:16

Ryan I just bought a used 2006 Yamaha Nytro box stock plus 98 studs all in the center of the track it needs new studs (I think) it dosn’t seem to steer well. I’m not feeling any darting. What should I put on it. I love to do a little hard trail riding on groomed trails

35. Mike / December 23rd, 2016 21:29

Do you have a carbide setup for a 1970 moto ski ms-18… it is a ice fishing sled that will often be on ice with little or no snow… thanks

36. Mickey / January 1st, 2017 15:25

Happy new year Ryan, i bought a 2002 polaris classic 600 touring with 56 studs , whats the best carbide for trails. Thanks

• Ryan / January 3rd, 2017 8:00

Hi Mickey, 4″ or 6″ should work for you depending on how hard you ride.

37. PAUL KING / January 10th, 2017 10:06

good morning, i have a 91 polaris indy trail deluxe,all standard i need to replace skages,want to go with carbide ? ride in mostly fresh powder and some groomed trails,wich one do you think is best for mine,do ride sort of aggresive ?, thanks paul

• Ryan / January 10th, 2017 11:15

Hey Paul, any 4″ carbide should be plenty for your sled.

38. Ryan / January 12th, 2017 11:30

Hey Ryan,
    Millionth carbide question here for you —
    I’ve got a 99 Yamaha Mountain Max 600, 136″ track, with 1.75 paddles… It’s been piped and clutched, so it’s pretty durn quick for a 600. I’m 180, and ride fairly aggressive — I’m really debating between 6 & 8-in carbides. Thoughts on which size I should go with?

• Ryan / January 12th, 2017 16:28

If you ride mostly trails, I would say go with the 8″ carbides, but if you’re out in the powder most of the time you probably only need the 6.

39. Scott barth / January 12th, 2017 17:47

I’ve got a 2007 Cat F1000. Moderately studded but it’s had some mods upping power. This has been handed to my wife this year from me and so far so good but she has a hard time in corners. Thinking about maybe going to a 6″ carbide. Am I on the right track with that or what’s your suggestion.

• Ryan / January 13th, 2017 8:07

Hi Scott. If she is not really give the sled throttle through the corners, a 6″ carbide would make it easier to steer. If she does ride aggressively, though, you could run the risk of the back end pushing through corners. You could also try adjusting the ski pressure to see if that will lighten up the steering a bit, while still getting the bite you need.

40. Amy maloney / January 14th, 2017 18:42

Hi Ryan…. I just bought a 2011 Polaris rush pro r and it doesn’t handle the corners on the trail great any recommendations to change out carbides to or add… many thanks!!!! I am about 150lbs and ride trails…

• Ryan / January 16th, 2017 8:22

Hey Amy, if the sled is pushing through the corners, you could try using a 6″ carbide with either the Stud Boy Shaper bars or the Woody’s Flat Top Ace bars.

41. Randy / January 26th, 2017 10:56

Hey Ryan, I just picked up a 05 Polaris classic 600, somewhere around 100 some studs, not exactly sure, dual carbides are pretty worn down, what would be a good replacement.im not a real aggressive rider , about 220#, what would be a good replacement

• Ryan / January 26th, 2017 13:50

Hi Randy, you could go with the 6″ Woody’s Doolys to get the bite you’re looking for while eliminating tracking.

42. Dan / January 26th, 2017 12:47

I’ve got 2016 renegade 800r x package with 137 ice ripper track. I am considering swapping tracks to ripsaw 2 with 96 studs down the middle. I would like to put more aggressive carbides on . What’s your recommendation as I also have pilot 5.7 with adjustable runners? Thanks

• Ryan / January 26th, 2017 13:48

Hey Dan, the Stud Boy Shaper bars with 7.5″ carbides are a solid choice for down the middle.

43. Karly / January 30th, 2017 16:00

Hey Ryan, I have a 2007 Yamaha Attak GT, my carbides are shot and I’m not sure what to get. This is a heavy sled that is hard to steer and I am only about 115 lbs. This is just for trail riding in Wisconsin.

Thanks!

• Ryan / January 31st, 2017 8:24

Hi Karly, a 4″ carbide should be all you need for moderate trail riding. The Stud Boy 4.5″ Shaper Bar will also give you good bite in the corners.

44. Darren Honkanen / January 31st, 2017 21:43

Hi, I have. 1998 mxz 583, it has doolys on it now and i got it used, they are worn and obviosly push alot now but and wondering what to put on, would be for mostly trail riding but sometimes icy , it has no studs and dont know what to get. As o dont want any darting either?

• Ryan / February 1st, 2017 8:10

Hey Darren, the 4″ Doolys should be a good fit for what you are looking for. IF you want a little more aggressive bite up front, you could step up to a 6″

45. Matt Carter / February 12th, 2017 10:04

2016 Cat ZR8000 limited, studded by dealer per Cat recommendations, I weigh 240lbs, sled was darting this weekend in NY on icy packed trails. I have the stock carbides which I think are dual staggered, what carbides would you recommend?

46. Brandon / February 16th, 2017 22:00

2006 Yamaha apex gt
    121″
    96 studs
    Aggressive trail riding
    190lbs rider weight
    What’s your recommendation?

47. Jason / February 17th, 2017 20:24

Can slim jim Dooley’s Rob top speed I just put them on a pro R 800 Switchback and can’t get above 86 miles an hour with the factory ones that don’t like crazy I can hit a hundred just wondering what you think maybe too much carbide maybe I should have a 4-inch carbides or maybe I should have went with just Dooley’s instead of slim jim dually

• Ryan / February 20th, 2017 8:19

Hey Jason, any dual runners will create extra friction and will slow you down a bit. Too counteract it, you can try reducing the ski pressure a bit so when you are on the throttle, they will lift a bit more and you will still get the bite in the corners when you let off and the front end dives. You most likely will not be able to get all of the top speed back, but you can get a bit more if your sled’s suspension can be adjusted.

48. Anthony / February 20th, 2017 12:11

So I have a 2005 Yamaha RX1 Mountain. I ride a lot of hills, trails, and boondocking in the rocky mountains. When I’m on the trails our average speed is probably around 65-75 mph but there are a lot of curves so your constantly in and out of the throttle. I’m wondering what carbide would treat me well on the trails but not hold me back climbing mountains or in the trees. The steepest hill i’ll probably actually attempt is a 1,000 vertical feet in 1/4 mile. I’m not sure how carbides really effect climbing or if they do. I’m a big guy also (6’4″ 290 lbs) What do you think will work best for me?

49. Jason / April 26th, 2017 16:20

I have a 2001 skidoo Mxz 600 with dual carbites. I am in the 260# range and was wondering what a good carbite would be. I do ride hard and ride groomed trails.

50. ADam / September 1st, 2017 18:28

Hi, I just picked up a 2003 MXZ 550F and was wondering rather I should get 4″ or 6″ carbides, and rather I should get 60 or 90 degree,

51. Nick / October 19th, 2017 11:55

I recently purchased a 2003 mountain cat 800 with the 151″ track. Wondering what the recommended carbide length would be? has “finger style” track on it and will be doing mostly Minnesota riding with the occasional trip to Michigan.

52. Steve Sweatt / December 12th, 2017 19:30

I bought a 1992
    Ski-Doo formula. It needs new carbides but not sure if it has original skis or not, was wondering how I find the right runners. Measure the distance between bolts?

• Ryan / December 13th, 2017 9:19

Yup, that would be how you could figure that out. The specs on the carbides will show the distance between studs.

53. Daren / December 28th, 2017 11:59

Hi Ryan,
    I’ve got an 05 skidoo gsx 121 800 studded down the middle with dual carbides. I ride pretty aggressively on and off trail. Got any recommendations for carbides? Thanks

• Ryan / December 28th, 2017 12:39

Hey Daren, a pair of 6″ dual carbides should work pretty well for your setup.

54. Rob / December 29th, 2017 11:06

Hi Ryan I just bought a 2017 Zr 9000 sno pro 137″ with 144 stud boy studs it came with stock 4″ dually carbides and its pushing bad in the corners I know its heavier than my zr 6000 but its really different. I mostly trail ride but some roads to get from trail to trail what do you recommend to help the pushing I’m 180lbs and 5″7 also it only has 350 miles and has ate up my right side carbide already which is strange but snow hasn’t been the greatest yet. any suggestions? Thank You!

• Ryan / January 2nd, 2018 8:34

Hey Rob, with that stud setup, you would probably benefit from going with at least 6″ carbides to help give your front the bite it needs to compensate for the hookup ability in the rear.

55. Brian / January 1st, 2018 11:38

I have a 2005 Ski Doo MXZ 600 H.O. Renegade. The track is 136″ with no studs and has 1.25″ lugs. The dealer just put on 4″ carbides (dual on each ski) without talking to me and I am wondering if this is the right choice. I’m a 200# trail rider and am not overly aggressive but I want to make sure I have control thru the corners since our trails tend to get icy there.

• Ryan / January 2nd, 2018 8:32

Hey Brian, a 4″ setup with dual runners and no studs is pretty common. A 6″ setup is about as much as you would want to go, but could be needed if your sled pushes through corners.

56. Andrew Nicholas / January 6th, 2018 21:38

Just bought a new Switchback Pro S 800. 136″ Ripsaw track with 1.25″ lugs. I’m 225lbs and trail ride pretty aggressively in upper Michigan. Woody’s recommends 144 1.325″ Gold Digger studs. Are those long enough? Also, the sled came stock with little 4″ carbides. Obviously I need more. I’m thinking the Shaper 6″ or 7.5″ inch carbides. I don’t really see the 7.5″ making that big of a difference over the 6″. What would u recommend? Thanks.

57. Tony F / January 16th, 2018 6:30

Hi !!
    I’m new to all this stuff !!

I have a 2008 polaris iq cruiser turbo, and need new carbide runners

I’m about 200 lbs … Medium aggressive rider … 136 track no studs and no intention to get studs .. And as far as I can tell, the runners are double on the skis..

Can you recommend the right length to get ??
    And please forgive me if I asked things with wrong terms !! Haha

58. Doug / January 18th, 2018 10:36

I bought standard wear rods once I recieved them I came to to realization that there are no raised areas on the bottom how will these preform

• Ryan / January 18th, 2018 11:27

Hey Doug. It depends on your sled and riding style. If they are just going on a vintage snowmobile, they will probably be fine. If you ride at moderate to fast speeds on trails, though, you will want carbides.

59. Alan Rotatori / January 24th, 2018 19:35

i currently have a 2004 articat t660 turbo with Dooly’s. dont care for them. i thinking of replacing them with single carbide. have about 90 studs on the track. what should i get?

60. Amanda / February 7th, 2018 11:09

Ryan, I just upgraded to a 2012 Arctic Cat F1100 (non-turbo). It currently has dual carbides on it (not sure of length) and i’m having to slow WAY DOWN on the trail turns. I believe it’s a 129″ track, thinking I should switch out to 6″ single carbide? I only ride groomed trails and wouldn’t say i’m aggressive. I’ll ride at a decent clip on the straighter sections, but definitely take it easier in the corners. Thanks for your time!!

• Ryan / February 7th, 2018 11:48

Hey Amanda. You could definitely switch out to a single 6″ carbide. The Stud Boy 6″ Shaper Bars or the Woody’s Flat Top Ace would be some good ones to check out

61. Larry / March 20th, 2018 18:02

Ryan, I just bought a new Yamaha Sidewinder LTX-SE 137″ track. Doing my 500 mile break in, I found that the sled pushed through the corners. I wanted to start by replacing the stock carbides. The skis are stock dual runner skis. I’m an aggressive trail rider, 250 lbs. What size carbides? Same size, or different sizes for each the center and outside runners?

62. Monte / October 15th, 2018 10:33

I have a 2012 Arctic cat F1100 turbo. We ride hard and fast usually. Many just trail riding . What carbides should I get. I think I would like to try the dual ones but not quite sure .

63. Chad Campbell / November 8th, 2018 16:55

Hey Ryan, I am a beginner rider and bought a 2017 Polaris Adventure 600. Has a studded 137 track. was told it would be best to upgrade the scags/carbides as I am 6’3 and 280lbs. I am not that aggressive but do like to try and corner a little faster at times. What would be the best fit?

64. Charlie / November 25th, 2018 13:58

Hey Ryan, I just bought a 2007 Yamaha RS Rage GT & wondering what carbide I should buy. I’m pushing 300+ lbs, it has a 136″ track (non-studded), I’ll be doing just trail/open field riding & occasionally racing buddies without getting real aggressive around corners.

65. Derrick / January 14th, 2019 18:19

Hi, are all carbides the same bolt pattern? and I assume a 6 inch dual carbide will be great for basic trail riding, pushing it a bit here and there. It’s a 2007 ski Doo 600 Blizzard. I just bought it and after 10 mins of darting pretty bad, I just came back home.

66. Daniel / January 18th, 2019 23:11

I have a 2012 Polaris 800 switchback with 144” track. I do mostly ditch banging and trail riding. Wondering what would be the best carbides to purchase

67. Chris / January 23rd, 2019 12:03

After
    Reading this it looks like 6” will be the choice for my 800 etec/136” studded track but not quite sure about 60/90 degrees. Mostly trail riding with some off once in a while.

• Ryan / January 24th, 2019 10:32

Hey Chris, the 90 will last quite a bit longer. The 60 provides more precise handling, but will wear out faster and you will need to replace more often.

68. Jeff Byars / January 26th, 2019 16:04

Just bought a couple of 2003 MXZ for my wife and myself. I have never owned rider forward sleds before. As a matter of fact I have never owned Ski Doo’s before.
    Hers is a 600 HO Sport with a 121. Mine is a 800 with a 136. Neither sled has studs and both have new tracks.
    We both will not be too aggressive on the trails. Just wondering what length carbides I should go with. Thanks for your help

69. ryan / January 26th, 2019 19:35

i have a 2013 polaris assualt 144 that i mainly ditch ride and trail ride with whatever powder i can find in fields and what not. Not sure on what carbides i should choose

70. Terry / January 29th, 2019 22:15

Hi Ryan, I and my 4 friends all drive 2005 to 2007 Yamaha RS Venture 2 UPs . Just stock Rip Saw 144 in tracks. So we are just old farts that can run with the best of the on groomed Michigan UP & Wis Trails. These big RS Ventures as you know push pretty good on softer trails and the inside ski likes to lift up when pushing it hard. We debate constantly what type of Woody Duallys we should be using in carbide length? Help Please, And also Ryan–I would love some suspension and front shock suspension advice but also hard to find good advice to get them t corner better. 2 of us are 300 lbrs, and two are 175 lb fellas

71. Mike / February 4th, 2019 2:07

Hey Ryan, I have a 2010 arctic cat snopro f8 studded down the center , I just bought it , i trail ride some what aggressive mostly and a little playing in the open fields, the trails are usuall6 packed down , I’m having a hard time cornering at higher speeds and darts a little , but the corners are my worst problem , I’m 170lbs. I’m thinking 6″ Doolys or one of each ? Also What do you recommend? 4″-6″-8″ ? Thanks .

72. David / February 7th, 2019 5:50

How about a 2017 137″ with 144 stud boy studs?

73. Gibs / February 10th, 2019 20:34

Hi Ryan, I have a 2017 Arctic Cat Pantera 3000 (700cc 4stroke), with a 146″ CAMSO COBRA 1.35″ lug track, I am 235bs… probably 240-250lbs kitted up, I like to drive aggressively; but My wife an I also like to cruise 2 up, switching up drivers throughout our trek. I ‘d really like to get a set of Stud Boy Deuce’s… Should we get a 6″ or 9″?

Thanks!

74. John / February 11th, 2019 13:30

I’m 72 years of age. Keep myself in shape so I can snowmobile. Not an aggressive rider but keep up with the young boys. I have a 2016 Skidoo Renegade (137″ track) and run Tuner skis. I have a slight problem with darting. I have 96 studs. What kind of Carbides should I run?? thanks, John

75. Forrest / February 12th, 2019 17:17

Hi Ryan. 2016 Ski Doo MXZ TNT 800R Etec 121 inch track 1.25 lugs with 96 studs. Agressive trail riding most of the time. Looking at Woodys 6 inch dooleys. What do you think?

76. Brian / February 14th, 2019 21:25

Hi Ryan I have a small Indy lite 340 and am 135-140 pounds. I ride groomed trails for the most part and don’t really corner aggressively. However, dealing with a lot of darting. Track is not studded and I am just looking to be able to get more speed with less darting back and forth. What would be suggested.

• Ryan / February 15th, 2019 8:12

Hey Brian, I would go with the dual runner style in a 4″ carbide

77. Alex / February 15th, 2019 12:10

2002 Ski-Doo MXZ-X, dual carbides. Which Woody’s carbides should I get, Ryan? Thanks in advance.

78. Austin / February 27th, 2019 7:55

Hey I have a 1994 Arctic cat ext 580 just learning to ride what size, kind and make of wear bar, carbide or hard bars should I get?

79. Dan Gialluca / March 12th, 2019 9:59

Have a polaris 2007 fst iq with 121 complast ice ripper , this is the track the studs are mounted to the lugs . Love the track . Had woodys doilies slim Jim 6 inch was hard to turn at slow speed want to go back to a woody wpi-7125 8 inch or tp14-7125 6 inch carbine two per ski I’m 190 lbs and very aggressive Snowmobilier on groomed trails

• Dan Gialluca / March 13th, 2019 10:31

I went with the woody 8 inch two per ski they set higher in the ski then the slim Jim doilies made by woodys will let you know how the work out

80. Indy / July 18th, 2019 23:28

Hello!

Recently purchased a ’17 XCR that will have 144 studs. If looking at dual carbides, what are your opininions? We ride long miles up north with a lot of “twisty” trails around home.

81. Michael / September 23rd, 2019 7:34

Which carbides would be best for my 1997 SkiDoo Grand Touring 583?

82. Paul / November 17th, 2019 11:01

I have 1998 yamaha vmax 700xtc all stock heavy studded plastic ski. 50/50 twisty trails driven aggressively the rest high speed lake running.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    Paul

83. Joe grave / December 11th, 2019 11:08

2007 backcountry skins installed for offtrail riding, some trail riding 30% off the time. Any suggested runners?

84. tim / December 26th, 2019 12:45