To break 200 horsepower on a naturally aspirated sled and be in the low 400’s on dry weight plus have show quality craftsmanship on the fit and finish.
In January of 2011 on the last day of our trip to Cooke City, Montana I smoked a rock and ripped the front suspension out of the bulkhead. Then on the way through Chief Joseph Pass heading home the wind grabbed the trailer as we made a corner and rolled the trailer onto the guard rail which bent my tunnel. My 2007 M1000 was pretty much toast. I’ve always wanted to build a custom mountain sled, so i figured now is as good a time as any…
The sled was themed and built around the name “SubZero”
– I’m a finish carpenter by trade and install custom kitchens. Some of the appliances are “Subzero” brand refrigerators, freezers, and wine coolers which require wood panels. These appliances come with a “Subzero” emblem in the install package. Most homeowners choose not to use them. I started collecting them years ago, and told myself “If I ever build a custom mountain sled I’m going to name it “SubZero.”
1. Used a 3rd brake light off a Z3 BMW Coupe.
– Welded a curved housing onto a Van Amburg bumper that I modified to fit onto a CR Racing tunnel.
– The brake light is only a single function LED light bar so I wired in a Blaster X microprocessor and a relay off my brake handle.
– The tail light is always on, but when I hit my brakes the LED’s flash in a switchable sequence.
2. Had a friend of mine weld up some chromoly A-Arms that gives “SubZero” a 36 inch ski stance.
– I don’t know of any aftermarket company that offers this on a M-Series style front end.
3. This one everyone asks about. I installed a carbon fiber exhaust pipe off of a tuner car which I mount under my Skinz seat.
– Purchased to exhaust can off Ebay. Pulled all the guts out of it, rolled a piece of aluminum for inner strength, then reassembled it. Welded mounting brackets on the can and bolted it to the underside of the seat frame.
– When someone asks about it, I pull the plug out of the end and pull a bottle of water out. Extra storage…
That it all actually works. LOL
– I had a lot of help from a lot of people and products that helped me make my vision come alive and function.
– I was able to hit my numbers.
( 213.6 engine hp and 430 lbs dry weight)
– That its done. Maybe…
They usually do more head shaking and jaw dropping before they start with the 20 questions.