Shoei Hornet DS Helmet
- Part #: 3302615XXS
- Manufacturer Part #: HORNET DS
Overview of Shoei Hornet DS Helmet
- The Hornet DS is Shoei's first Dual Sport helmet, for riders seeking the flexibility of a full face road helmet that can hold its own in the dirt. Featuring a redesigned shield, AIM + shell structure, wind tunnel-tested aerodynamics, cooling ventilation, wide visibility and comfortable, lightweight fit. Shoei's Hornet DS offers a whole new swarm of possibilities for dual sport, dual purpose, adventure tour and supermoto riders
- The Hornet's rigid, 2mm thick polycarbonate shield conforms to the complex shape of the shell, and provides a wide minimally reflective radius of clear visibility
- The shield's exclusive window beading performs two functions: a tight closure and maximum deflection of wind while riding
- AIM+ (Advanced Integrated Matrix Plus), a high-performance combination of new and advanced shell materials, produces a lightweight shell with increased rigidity and elasticity
- This reduces inertia and impact in the event of an accident and provides a very comfortable ride
- The shell of the Hornet DS is available in four sized to assure proper fitting per ever helmet size
- Combines a uniquely aggressive appearance with a shutter mechanism which allows ventilation to the mouth area as well as reducing inner shield fogging
- The Hornet's visor is positioned slightly higher than on typical motocross helmets so as not to interfere with visibility
- Its unique wedge design also aids in the over aerodynamic performance, minimizing drag and lift while riding
- The fully removable, washable interior assembly utilizes moisture absorbing fibers and high textured mesh to help skin stay dry
- All parts work together to fit tightly around the head, while slits in the cheek pad allow for comfortable wearing of eyeglasses
- The included chin curtain adds riding comfort by diminishing rolling that can result from high wind pressure
- A newly-designed upper intake in the visor works with the forehead vent to provide more comfort in high wind riding conditions
- Cooling inside the helmet is further provides by cross vortex ventilation, passing hot air through the liner utilizing negative air pressure against the shell
- The hot air is exhausted through the helmet's ear neck outlet
- Breath guard and chin curtain included
- DOT and Snell certified
- Weight of medium is 3 lbs. 6 oz.
Specs for Shoei Hornet DS Helmet
Reviews for Shoei Hornet DS Helmet
Absolutely love this helmet, been wearing Shoei's for years, like this one the best so far. I ride alot in the rain and fogging is definitely minimized when compared to my RF1000. Ventilation seem much is better as well but since it's cold will have to wait to see if how it is in the heat of summer. Comfort and fit are near perfect, a little tight at first but it loosen up a little with wear. Also like to add that you can't beat the service at Dennis Kirk, orderded online had it in about a week and half.I would recommend this item to a friend.
Not as good as it could have been.
I prefer dual sports helmets over pure off-road helmets, and have been using them since 1995 (Nolan were the only one's available). This helmet has several disadvantages: The screws are VERY fragile, I already broke one, although I didn't apply much force, certainly not enough to make it stay. The visor doesn't open high enough for uninterrupted view, and when it arrived, it didn't fit when closed. I adjusted it, but it doesn't sit as good as it should have (and I am mr. handyman). Putting the helmet on with the chin strap connected and fully opened is easy, but taking the helmet off, even when I disconnect the chin strap in painful for my normal ears. The highway-speed noise is higher than my X11, as expected, but OK. Off-road, it is exactly as expected, except for being on the fragile side. My friend broke his screws in a fall. The visor's anti-scratch quality is unsatisfactory (when compared with my old Nolan N70/N70E). The visor is extremely expensive. The weight is OK. The visor does not have holes for the anti-fog insert. As with many Shoei helmets, the visor open/close grip is located on the left side instead of in the center. This unbalanced holding point is disturbing when attempting to close the visor (especially since it doesn't fit perfectly), and certainly inconvenient when I try to operate it with my right hand, while holding the clutch lever, and since it is not centered, it takes time to learn to reach my hand to the right place. At the bottom line, this is still my preferred helmet, BUT ...I would recommend this item to a friend.
Great Helmet, The Best I Have Ever Had
I purchased my Hornet DS from a dealership that had one on display a few months ago. The one they had on the shelf happened to be my size and the sizes seemed correct as far as other manufacturers measurements. I use my only on the street but I love it, I wasn't sure if the visor was going to effect the ride at all, but only when you turn your head can you tell that there's something else there. The helmet is super comfortable and very light weight, and the vents work great. The amount of wind noise could be a little better, but I haven't found a helmet that's perfect in that department yet either... I wear sunglasses during the day with it and they fit great since they designed it that way, so anyone with glasses would be set with this helmet. The price is a little bit expensive, but it's still a fraction of the price of a new head. So I would definitely recommend this to anyone that can afford it, it's a great helmet.I would recommend this item to a friend.
Great Helmet, Better Price
Bought this helmet on closeout from here after trying it on locally and no store with the size/color I wanted in stock. Fit is great, not heavy, well ventilated, minimal wind noise. Would definitely recommend to a friend.I would recommend this item to a friend.
We bought this helmet for my wife. She absolutely loves it and says that it vents well and is reasonably quiet riding here dual sport on the road. Great protection and quality.I would recommend this item to a friend.
High Quality but expensive
I bought this helmet for dualsport use. Not many in this category to pick from yet. Helmet is top quality. A little noisier than my road helmet but tolerable. Price may scare off many.I would recommend this item to a friend.
What's with the screws?
SHOEI Hornet DS Helmet I had read some reviews before buying this helmet and was not to sure about the plastic screws for the shield but I went for it anyway. When the helmet came the screws were already broken. But Dennis Kurt to the rescue, they sent some replacements right out plus I went to a local shop and picked up the screw set for $3.20. The helmet comes with a chin curtain? Never had one of those, it works great. View is good, I see no distortion in the shild. I have a square head so I needed to up the size. I measured my head and I was at the lower end of XL so I went up to XXL and it's hard to get on but fine after it is on. My only disappointment is the poorly made screws.I would recommend this item to a friend.
I would recommend this item to a friend.