Motordog69 Crown 1.8 Horn Cover Attachment With Veteran US Marine Corps 2-Sided Coin
- Part #: 216618
- Manufacturer Part #: JMPC-HC-VMARINE
This item is no longer available
Overview of Motordog69 Crown 1.8 Horn Cover Attachment With Veteran US Marine Corps 2-Sided Coin
- Add a piece of life to your bike with USA made Motordog69s Medallion Plate Covers
- Easily mount and remove a 1 3/4 in. challenge coin on your stock Harley cow bell horn cover
- Motordog69s Crown 1.8 is made in the USA, is designed to give new life to your stock Harley cow bell horn cover
- Rugged and durable, triple show-chrome plated 6061 aluminum
- The Crown 1.8 is permanently mounted to your stock Harley cow bell horn cover with RTV silicone (not included)
- A 1 3/4 in. challenge coin is firmly (but not permanently) mounted to a Crown 1.8 with a small amount of the same RTV silicone
- You can also remove the coin by popping it out with the bottom slot, and remount a new coin, to get a new personalized look
- The Crown 1.8 and coin will not rattle off your Harley horn cover if you follow Motordog69s instructions
- The challenge coin and the Crown 1.8 are sold as a set
- Fits all model stock Harley cow bell horn covers 1992-up (excludes V-Rods and some CVO Sportster models)
- Mount a coin, ride with pride, pop coin out, re-mount a new coin, get a new personalized look
History of the Challenge Coin
During World War I, American volunteers from all parts of the country filled the newly formed flying squadrons. Some where wealthy scions attending colleges such as Yale and Harvard who quit in mid-term to join the war. In one squadron, a wealthy lieutenant ordered medallions struck in solid bronze and presented them to his unit. One young pilot placed the medallion in a small leather pouch that he wore around his neck.
Shortly after acquiring the medallions, the pilots aircraft was severely damaged by ground fire. He was forced to land behind enemy lines and was immediately captured by a German patrol. In order to discourage his escape, the German took all of his personal identification except for the small leather pouch around his neck. In the meantime, he was taken to a small French town near the front. Taking advantage of a bombardment that night, he escaped. However, he was without personal identification.
He succeeded in avoiding German patrols by donning civilian attire and reached the front lines. With great difficulty, he crossed no-mans land. Eventually, he stumbled onto a French outpost. Unfortunately, saboteurs had plagued the French in that sector. They sometimes masqueraded as civilians and work civilian clothes. Not recognizing the young pilots American accent, the French thought him to be a saboteur and made ready to execute him. He had no identification to prove his allegiance, but he did have his leather pouch containing the medallion. He showed the medallion to his would-be executioners and one of his French captors recognized the squadron insignia on the medallion. They delayed his execution long enough for him to confirm his identity. Instead of shooting him they gave him a bottle of wine.
Back at his squadron, it became tradition to ensure that all members carried their medallion or coin at all times. This was accomplished in the following manners - a challenger would ask to see the medallion. If the challenged could no produce a medallion, they were required to buy a drink of choice for the member who challenged them. If the challenged member produced a medallion, then the challenging member was required to pay for the drink. This tradition continued on throughout the war and for many years after the war while surviving members of the squadron were still alive.
(1) 1 3/4" medallion
(1) 1 15/16" base plate
Specs for Motordog69 Crown 1.8 Horn Cover Attachment With Veteran US Marine Corps 2-Sided Coin
Reviews for Motordog69 Crown 1.8 Horn Cover Attachment With Veteran US Marine Corps 2-Sided Coin
There are no customer reviews for this item yet.
Instructions and Media for Motordog69 Crown 1.8 Horn Cover Attachment With Veteran US Marine Corps 2-Sided Coin
|Instructions - PDF||Instructional PDF|
|Product Info: Motordog69: Air Cleaner Coins & Mount||Instructional Video||2:56|